15.8.09

I Poached An Egg


I've been trying to eat healthier lately. I've been going low-carb, so I've been eating lots of eggs. After getting bored of day after day of scrambled and fried, I decided one morning to try poached.

I've never eaten a poached egg.

I've never made a poached egg.

But being somewhat familar with the theory, I thought on impulse that I would give it a shot. So I pulled out my trusty cookbook and took a crack at it. (Pun intented.)

If you are like me and have never done it, I'll explain it real quick.

Step 1. Boil a small pot of water.
Step 2. When the bubbles of water begin to burst at the surface, turn down to simmer.
Step 3. Crack the egg into a small dish, like a measuring cup. (This makes it easier to slide it into the water.)
Step 4. Gently slide the egg into the water, quickly, but smoothly enough to not break the yolk. You may need to put a spoon in there and help the white kinda stay near the yolk.
Step 5. Let the egg cook for 3-5 minutes, or long enough for the white to go from clear to white, but not too long, or the yolk will harden.
Step 6. Pull out with a slotted spoon and let cool. Then salt and pepper it and eat it as you would a fried egg.

As I had never made one before, my first one was a DISMAL failure. I don't know if I cooked it too long, or if the yolk had a hole in it, or what happened. I threw it in the trash and started over. I babysat the second one, and it turned out how it should. Or at least, how I thought it should, seeing as I'd never had or made one before.

I ate my poached egg on an english muffin with a slice of bacon on top. Nice and well balanced, full of protein breakfast, and VERY yummy. I'm planning to make them more often. I think once I have more practice, I'll get better at it.

Sink or Swim? Sink on my first attempt, but give me time.

3 comments:

Kristin =) said...

this post reminds me of the movie Julie and Julia! THere is a scene in which she attempts to poach an egg. You must see this movie...it is superb!

Amy said...

Saw it on Saturday. =D

Chelsea said...

hmmm...sounds interesting! I should try poaching. the egg kind. why is it that poaching is only used for illegally hunting animals and for cooking eggs? random thought for the day.