4.9.09

Mushroom-Cream Chicken


I just made a total swim.

It's so good that I had to put down my fork between bites to start this post. Now granted, it could be that I'm just really really hungry, seeing as it's 8:30 and I haven't eaten in 8 hours, but I think it's just that good.

(Pause to take bite.)

Okay, I made this for just myself, so I'm going to estimate what you would need to make it a larger recipe. Here's what you need:

good drizzle of olive oil
1/2 a yellow onion
2 to 2 1/2 c mushrooms, chopped (I used crimini)
1 c milk
2 T half and half
2 T Herbes De Provence
1-2 T of flour
salt and pepper
2 chicken breasts or 6 chicken tenders

Let's make this happen:

1. In a large pan, drizzle a couple of T of olive oil, just enough to coat the pan. Chop up the onion and throw it into the pan. Let the onion sweat out and sweeten up.

2. While that is working, chop up the mushrooms. I quartered (or sixthed, if that's a word) mine, because I think it looks fancier than slicing them. When the onion has some good color, throw them in. Let the mushrooms cook through with the onions.

3. While those cook, in a separate pan, cook your chicken. Salt and pepper it, and then cook it with a bit of olive oil in a pan.

4.Once the mushrooms and onions are looking nice and cooked, add the milk, half and half, and Herbes De Provence.

5. As the sauce heats through, add enough flour to let it thicken up. Once it's thickened, turn it down so it can simmer while you finish the chicken.

6. Once the chicken is fully cooked, add it into the sauce and let it get all yummy and soaked with the sauce. I'd just let it simmer about 5 minutes or so.

This chicken turned out SO good. Maybe I just got ahold of an especially good batch of mushrooms. Anyway, your should try it out. It's a pretty easy recipe, and I think most people have the ingredients already in their house.

Sink or Swim? Swim.

No comments: